Search This Blog

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Being Offended


Recently I’ve been made aware that some people, in a group I belong to, were offended, by my teasing a friend of mine.  I was making fun of her cooking ability.  I asked my friend, and she was not offended.  So is an offense given, if no offense was taken?

It seems that a few people in the group were offended by my teasing my friend.  Am I responsible for them?   My friends and I can’t fool with each other, because others, not in our circle, will take offense?  I'm kind of offended by that.

This reminds me of the current craze about “political correctness.”  Eventually, offending behavior is a Chinese puzzle.  What may offend one, won't offend another.  Isn't it reasonable to think that someone, somewhere, will be offended by something that isn't universally accepted as “politically correct or offenseless,” sooner or later.  So, who’s to say that a few are right?  Who’s wrong? 

Political correctness and being offensive are subjective.  It’s all a matter of taste.  There’s no definite solution.  I'm not going to stop being me.  I might tip toe around certain people now, but I really don't think that’s right either.  Who says they're right?  My friend wasn't offended.  I don't feel it’s right that people are making me feel negative about myself.  I have a right to tease and joke with my friends.  We think it’s harmless.  And if you don't think it’s so harmless, why do you think you should impose your standards on me? 

Offence isn't given; it’s taken.  If you're not offended, then there’s no offence.  If you are offended, remember, that doesn't mean that you are right. 


You don't live in my world.  If you take offense that easily, you'd never survive.

Galilean Fish Broil

BIBLICALLY BROILED FISH This Lenten recipe comes from “A Continual Feast.”  Note the beautiful story of Jesus appearing to the apostles on t...