Search This Blog

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Washing in Humility

At that time, Peter was the only disciple who questioned Jesus washing their feet.  Usually a servant would do this.  But they didn't have any servants.  So Jesus did it.  Was He being a good host?  More than that, much more.  He was teaching, preaching and setting a precedent.

Do you know what I have done to you?  You call me Master and Lord, and you say well, for so I am.  If, therefore, I the Lord and Master have washed your feet, you also ought to wash the feet of one another.  For I have given you an example, that as I have done to you, so you also should do.
John 13: 12-16

courtesy StainedGlassInc.com
IOW, if Jesus, humbly and loving served His followers.  Then they should do likewise. No Christian should put himself above others.  God blesses those who honor Him by serving others.

The Lord in dialogue with Saint Catherine of Siena, teaches about saints:

"My goodness permits this to strengthen them and make them great in my own sight and the world's, since they have made themselves small in true humility.  You can see this clearly in my saints.  They made themselves small for me, and I have made them great in myself, everlasting Life, and in the mystic body of holy Church.  There they are forever remembered because their names are written in me, the book of life.  Thus the world hold them in reverence because they have despised the world.
     These souls hide their virtue only through humility, never through fear.  If their neighbors have need of their service, they do not hide their virtue for fear of suffering of for fear of losing their own selfish comfort.  No, they serve them courageously, with no concern for themselves.  In whatever way they use their lifetime for my honor, they are happy and find spiritual peace and quiet.
      Why?  Because they choose to serve me not in their own way but in mine."  Dialogue, p. 142.

Serving others is the best way.  Serving yourself doesn't work out.  Selfish, self-centered, self-serving people are left with themselves.  God's way is best.

How to serve others:

  • Pray to imitate the lesson of the spirit of foot washing.
  • Read John 13.  Be alert to Abraham, Noah, Ruth, Daniel, etc. serving others, when you read the Bible.
  • Think how you can help whomever you talk to.  What do they need?



h/t  www.StainedGlassInc.com





Galilean Fish Broil

BIBLICALLY BROILED FISH This Lenten recipe comes from “A Continual Feast.”  Note the beautiful story of Jesus appearing to the apostles on t...