National Geographic Traveler, August/Sept edition, had an advertisement for travel. I read and appreciated Andrew Evans' Ultimate To-Do List. It inspired me to think of my own.
My biggest dream is to perfect the Eight Beatitudes Matthew 5: 3-10:
1. Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Well, didn't I carry the cross in the Los Angeles Catholic Worker's Way of the Cross, on a Good Friday? More to do.
2. Blessed are the meek: for they shall possess the land. Aren't I best friends with the anawim? Trying anyway.
3. Blessed are they who mourn: for they shall be comforted. Sometimes in prayer, I am brought to tears over man's inhumanity to man. There is much to mourn over.
4. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill. Aren't I trying to correct injustices? I'm trying. I'm trying.
5. Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy. I pray for mercy for all those in prisons and bondage of all kinds.
6. Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God. My heart is clean after the Sacrament of Reconciliation. I am for a pure conscience.
7. Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. How many times have the opposing sides turned on me, trying to reconcile their differences? But I don't give up.
8. Blessed are they that suffer persecution for justice sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. I have to work to obey your Ten Commandments. Sometimes it's very difficult, but I keep at it.
After the Big Eight, I have my Family Bucket List:
1. Instill a love of God in all my family.
2. Teach that kindness is one of the highest virtues.
3. Teach how important commitment is.
4. Have a family that prays together.
5. Introduce nature walks and an appreciation of nature.
6. Instill a love of reading.
7. Make sure everyone knows how to swim.
8. Make sure everyone knows how to drive.
Next is my Lay Dominican To Do List:
1. Walk the Steps of St. Dominic.
2. Visit Father Tom's Kids
3. Visit Fanjeaux and Prouhille
4. Visit Cadillac prison
5. Visit Toulouse
6. Visit Siena
7. Visit Santa Sabina
8. Go on a retreat at the Resurrection Community in Caso, ME
Last, and least, is what I kinda wish I could do:
1. Go on a pilgrimage to the Holy Land
2. Visit Korea to see the places my Korean students told me about
3. Visit Lithuania to soak up ancestral history
4. Walk the Wall in China
5. Visit all the lighthouses along the coast of New England
6. Ride a pink jeep over the sand dunes in "P town"
7. Learn another language
8. Walk El Camino de Santiago