Search This Blog

Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween Storm


At first it looked pretty. It was just frost on the pumpkin. Then the leaves were encased in diamond settings.

But then it turned ugly. Those crystallize leaves weighed too heavily on their branches. Branches snapped. Trees split. There's a tree on the Town Common that split evenly in thirds--center, to the right, and to the left. Some parts of the town looked liked a tornado went through it. A few streets have telephone poles pulled down by trees falling on their wires. Live wires on the street have caused a lot of problems: no electricity, no school, and no trick or treating. You can't have kids walking in the dark with no street lights, or even lights from houses, and accidentally stepping on one of those live wires. So trick or treat has been postponed for Friday.

And I'm exhausted. Since we had no electricity, I had no alarm clock. I kept waking up during the night to check the time on my cell phone. I didn't trust its alarm because I had never used it before. Finally, one of the times I check, I thought the time said almost five o'clock. Close enough to get up. I usually get up at 5:30 AM. It was as cold as a freezer in the house. You could hang meat. So I took a nice, hot, long shower. Afterwards, I checked the time and it was just past four o'clock. So when I got up it was only three something. !!!!!!!!

I was wide awake.

I decided to take advantage of the quiet time and read the Office of Readings, besides pray Morning Prayer. I even had time to pray a Rosary.

I would have enjoyed the time spent alone with God, were it not for the cold. But after two days of no electricity, we just now got the electric power back on. Thanks be to God. This Halloween storm turned out to be a "trick" and also a "treat."

No comments:

Shepherd One

 Whenever the pope flies anywhere, you will see that the plane is called Shepherd One.  Even so, the Vatican doesn't own any planes.  Th...