Search This Blog

Thursday, August 29, 2024

A Writing Exercise

 The following is a writing exercise.  "Forgetfulness" is a poem by Billy Collins, our poet laureate from 2001-2003.  I enjoy Billy Collins' conversational style which leaves an aftertaste of thoughtful reflection.


Here I am trying to capture his conversational style, plus Collins' mood and pace.

Senior Moments

I went into this room to do something.
Something I needed urgently.
Something very important.
Something that has escaped me.

Perhaps I came here to get a book,
The title of which has run off,
Along with the author,
Accompanied with its subject.

Ah...my mind sometimes drifts
To other places and worlds
And rests anywhere, here and
There, or hither and yon.

Once I knew all the states' capitals,
Gettysburg Address, Nicene Creed,
John Milton's Paradise Lost,
No less.

Let me think; let me think.
I know I came here for a reason.
I have this feeling that it's
So very close...

Ah...Got it.
My reason hasn't retired with Billy Collins'
To the Southern Hemisphere.
I came into this room to find myself.

No comments:

How I Grew Up

 Afraid my friends         would find out. Feel sorry for me.        judge me. See him staggering,        unemployed, again,        smelling...