Search This Blog

Monday, May 27, 2024

Eunice

 Sunday, I was waiting with a group of people, to take the elevator.  We were in the main part of the church, waiting for the elevator to go to the ground floor.  A black lady, I never saw in church before, asked, "Where is the 'Wall?'"

A few of us asked, "The what?"

She repeated, "Where is the 'Wall?'"

We didn't know, until she held up the bulletin and pointed to 'Sacred Heart Hall."

"O-o-o-o-o-h.  Hall."  Actually, she was saying 'Hall.'  It's just no one uses that term for downstairs.

Since, I was going downstairs, anyway, and had the time, I took her to the Hall and showed her around the church.  Her name was Eunice and she comes from Zimbabwe. I gave her a ride home.  She walks to daily Mass and she lived about an hour's walk away.

We exchanged phone numbers and I intend to take her under my wing.  She actually told me that she's been here two years and hasn't made any friends!  No one in church has welcomed her.  

Well, no longer, Eunice.  She's under my wing, now.

 


No comments:

Keep Practicing

 Over the years, I read James Carroll's articles and have admired his skill in wordsmithing.  He is an excellent writer.  I've just ...