Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Mercy is an Irrevocable Gift

 

Brothers and sisters:
I am speaking to you Gentiles.
Inasmuch as I am the apostle to the Gentiles,
I glory in my ministry in order to make my race jealous
and thus save some of them.
For if their rejection is the reconciliation of the world,
what will their acceptance be but life from the dead?

For the gifts and the call of God are irrevocable.
Just as you once disobeyed God
but have now received mercy because of their disobedience,
so they have now disobeyed in order that,
by virtue of the mercy shown to you,
they too may now receive mercy.
For God delivered all to disobedience,
that he might have mercy upon all.

STUDIUM:

Interesting that sin and disobedience is the means by which God is able to show us His mercy.  Here, St. Paul is talking to the Gentile Christians in Rome.  He hopes he can bring some Jews to Jesus when they see how the Gentiles have adopted the Jew, Jesus Christ.  
     Also, Paul talks of God's irrevocable gifts to His people.  Mercy is one of them because the Gentiles didn't even know to ask for mercy.  But Paul says God will have mercy on the Jews too, as well as all people.

MEDITATIO:

Oh boy do I need mercy.  How many times have I never given God a thought and just went along my merry way having fun and doing whatever whim entered my silly head.  I never gave a thought to what was right, or what I was doing to others. My smart alec comments turn some people off, yet I snap hurtful retorts regardless.  I just think of myself.

ORATIO:

Lord put Your hand over my mouth.  Slap me still, so I will think of others before my foolish inclinations.  I really want to please You, not me.  Help me, Lord.

CONTEMPLATIO:

Be with me Lord.

RESOLUTIO:

I need to spend some regular, dedicated time with Jesus.



No comments:

Birthdays

 Two birthday parties mentioned in the Bible are one by an Egyptian Pharaoh and Herod.  The Pharaoh doesn't have a name but he threw him...