Search This Blog

Monday, August 21, 2023

George and Michael

 The prayer to St. Michael has always been a favorite of mine.  I first heard it as a child in the 1950's.  We prayed it at the end of every Mass.  Then with the liturgical changes brought by the Vatican II Council, it didn't fit in the liturgy.  

I still pray it now and then.  And sometimes, since my friend, Jordi, introduced to St. George, I also invoke the intercession of St. George.

St. Michael the Archangel, 
defend us in battle. 
Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the Devil. 
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray, 
and do thou, 
O Prince of the heavenly hosts, 
by the power of God, 
thrust into hell Satan, 
and all the evil spirits, 
who prowl about the world 
seeking the ruin of souls. Amen. .

The prayer to St. Michael was inspired by a dream Pope Leo XIII had.  The dream was so horrific that when the pope awoke, he composed this prayer and asked that everyone pray it.

The prayer was more or less forgotten until the reign of Pope John Paul II.  He tried to promote interest in the prayer, again.  He once went on a pilgrimage to Monte Sant'Angelo in Foggia, Italy, where he said, "I have come to venerate and invoke St. Michael the Archangel, that he may protect and defend the Holy Church at a time when it is difficult to give authentic Christian witness without  compromise and accommodation."

I hope and pray that the entire Church will once again regularly recite the prayer to St. Michael.  

Plus, it wouldn't hurt to ask the intercession of St. George, the martyr and soldier of God.  St. George is the patron saint of over 100 countries.  If he can protect countries, surely he can protect people.  He is depicted riding a horse spearing a dragon with a lance.  St. Michael doesn't ride a horse.  He spears Satan with a lance, too.

O St. George,
faithful servant of God and invincible martyr;
favored by God with the gift of faith,
and inflamed with an ardent love of Christ,
You fought valiantly against the dragon
of pride, falsehood, and deceit.
Neither pain nor torture, sword nor death
could part you from the love of Christ.
I fervently implore you
for the sake of this love
to help me by your intercession
to overcome the temptations that surround me,
and to bear bravely the trials that oppress me,
so that I may patiently carry the cross
which is placed upon me;
and let neither distress nor difficulties
separate me from the love of Our Lord Jesus Christ.
Valiant champion of the Faith,
assist me in the combat against evil,
that I may win the crown promised to those
who persevere to the end.


Some enterprising business person, please make a holy card that depicts both saints together.

No comments:

Birthdays

 Two birthday parties mentioned in the Bible are one by an Egyptian Pharaoh and Herod.  The Pharaoh doesn't have a name but he threw him...