Search This Blog

Thursday, January 26, 2023

Shema

 

LECTIO:

Hear, O Israel! The Lord is our God, the Lord alone! Deuteronomy 6: 4

Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one.  And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength. This is the first commandment. (Mark 12: 29-30)

STUDIUM:

This verse in Deuteronomy is the most important prayer that Jews say.  It is known as the Shema. Every Jew is supposed to pray the Shema at least twice a day. It is even mentioned in the ancient Qumran scrolls.

According to Jesus, it is our first commandment. Interesting, as I adore God with my eyes, God tells us to hear.  We Catholics are blessed to also taste and see the Lord in the Eucharist.


When God first gave this command to the Hebrews there were many gods.  The Lord was demanding that His people worship the One True God. Nowadays, there are more and more people who don’t even believe in God.  The noise of the world detracts the people. They are deaf to God’s voice.

MEDITATIO:

It is a struggle to hear God’s voice.  I go to Mass to taste and see.  I go to Adoration to see and listen.  It is a challenge. Lord help me listen to homilies and daily readings.  You know how to reach me. 

ORATIO:

Lord, I want to hear and listen in order to do Your Will.  I want to be a doer of Your Will, too.

CONTEMPLATIO:

Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one.

RESOLUTIO:

I need to spend more quiet time with God.  Adoration is a good start.

No comments:

Galilean Fish Broil

BIBLICALLY BROILED FISH This Lenten recipe comes from “A Continual Feast.”  Note the beautiful story of Jesus appearing to the apostles on t...