Search This Blog

Thursday, January 5, 2023

Living Words

 

LECTIO:                 Isaiah 50: 4-7

The Lord God has given me a well-trained tongue, that I might know how to speak to the weary a word that will rouse them.  Morning after morning he opens my ear that I may hear; and I have not rebelled, have not turned back.
                I gave my back to those who beat me, my cheeks to those who plucked my beard; my face I did not shield from buffets and spitting.
                The Lord God is my help, therefore I am not disgraced; I have set my face like flint, knowing that I shall not be put to shame.

STUDIUM:

Israel was moving away from God and relying on other countries for help.  The people of Israel in Isaiah’s time had forgot about God. In fact, Isaiah thinks the people have rejected God.  In verse 4, Isaiah thanks God for giving him the ability to speak.  Every preacher should begin their prayers with thanksgiving for the means to talk, to think, and spread the Good News.  Isaiah asks God for strength, so he won’t turn away from hardships but rather persevere. 
                Trust in God, coupled with the charism of preaching is invaluable.  Isaiah had to also have an ear to hear God.  He listened.  He received instructions from God.  Prophets deliver what they are taught whether it is by word of mouth, in writing, or in art.  Jesus Himself says that He received that He might give. 
                Dependence on God is where Isaiah got his strength.  “The Lord God is my help.” It must be.  Where else could Isaiah, and us for that matter, continue, in the face of hardships? Even shame did not deter Isaiah because he was working for God and that is work no one should be ashamed of.

MEDITATIO:

My Lord God, You have given me a well-trained tongue, much like Isaiah.  I am a lector in my parish.  Let me follow Isaiah’s model of prayer and thank you for the charism of speaking, first, before I continue my prayer. I am not nervous speaking in public, either.  I used to be, but the work of the Holy Spirit has enabled me to focus on getting Your Word across, before I am aware of any personal physical nervousness. Thank You.  I know “that I shall not be put to shame.”

ORATIO:

My Lord God, help me always to proclaim Your Good News, not only as a lector, but also in every conversation I will have.

CONTEMPLATIO:

I trust You will give me what I need.

RESOLUTIO:

I’m copying Isaiah 50: 4-7 and pasting it in my Lector’s Workbook.  Before I proclaim the Readings at Mass, I resolve to spend time preparing and praying with these verses, first.


No comments:

Sisterhood

  Sisterhood Two girls, who like to play sisters. Both wear different headscarves. One is a hijab. One is a tichel. Will we grow old? Will w...