Search This Blog

Friday, January 27, 2023

Artificial Intelligence

 

LECTIO:

Heavenly Father,
                We come to you today in humble prayer, seeking Your Grace and Mercy. We thank you for all that You have blessed us with and ask that You continue to guide us and protect us from harm.
                We ask that You give us strength and courage to face our daily challenges. Help us to remain strong in our faith, so that we may be a light for others.
                Give us the wisdom to make good decisions and to have faith in ourselves.  Lead us to be kind, patient, and forgiving, especially when it is hard.
                We know that You are with us at all times, and we thank You for that. We ask that You keep us safe from all harm and danger, and protect us from all evil.
In Jesus’ Name we pray. Amen                                         AI

STUDIUM:

Artificial intelligence (AI) is the new technology that enables computers to perform different advanced functions, including writing this prayer under LECTIO.  If you use a GPS for directions, you are using AI.  If you use Google Translate, you are using AI.  Tesla uses AI to drive their cars.  Recently AI took a bar exam and passed. Here, I imagine a programmer fed The Lord’s Prayer, and scripture verses of praise, and thanks, and intercession, and asked the computer to compose a prayer.  And voila!

MEDITATIO:

Lord Jesus, is Artificial Intelligence good or bad?  Is it like most things—a little bit of both?  It depends on how one uses it.  Consider, Lord, this prayer written by Artificial Intelligence.  It is much better than any prayer I have ever written.  The robot even capitalized “You,” when it referred to God Almighty, showing reverence, just like I would do.  The robot respects God? 

There is something vital missing in this prayer.  Me.  The robot knows the right words, but it is not a sentient being.  It is not me. This prayer does not express the love I feel for You.  The prayer does not express my need for Your Love.

ORATIO:

Lord, help me not to admire the robot’s prayer, better, help me not to laugh at it.  Help me to pray better.  Help me to listen to Your Voice.  Help me to rest comfortably in Your Love.

CONTEMPLATIO:

I will keep my eyes on Jesus and not on every new invention.

RESOLUTIO:

I resolve not to use AI for Lectio Divina. There is only One God and AI is nowhere in the same class.


No comments:

Galilean Fish Broil

BIBLICALLY BROILED FISH This Lenten recipe comes from “A Continual Feast.”  Note the beautiful story of Jesus appearing to the apostles on t...