Search This Blog

Saturday, November 27, 2021

Grandma's Skit for First Penance

First Confession            First Sacrament of Reconciliation                  First Penance

Setting:  Sitting in a church pew waiting for my turn to go see the priest.

Characters:           Child: (plays herself)
                                Big Brother: (priest)
                                Grandma :  Narrator

 

Narrator:  The first thing someone does is think what they are going to talk about to the priest.  This is called an Examination of Conscience. 

Child: I have to think.  Thinks Out Loud.

Do I pray?

Have I been obedient to my parents and others?

Am I kind to everyone?

Am I stubborn?

Am I selfish and not shared with others?

Have I made fun of any one?

Have I stolen anything?

Have I purposely destroyed someone’s property?

Do I do my chores?

Have I told lies?

Oh!  Now it’s my turn.

Narrator:  Child sits or kneels in front of the priest.

Priest:  Good Afternoon.

Child:  Good Afternoon.  While making the sign of the cross, the child says, “Bless me Father, for I have sinned.  This is my first confession.”

Narrator:  Then the child tells how she has been behaving and promises to  try to be better.  For example:

I am too shy and don’t always greet my teachers as I should.

I do not share all the time. 

I spend too much time on technical devices.

I don’t help my mother as much as I should.

Now it’s the child’s turn:

………………………………………………

…………………………………………………….

……………………………………………….

Narrator:  When we finish the priest may talk to the child to make sure they are finished and maybe they have some questions for the priest.  When the conversation is over, the priest will give the child a penance.
The penance is usually prayers.

Priest: Now say your Act of Contrition.

Child:  Prays Act of Contrition:

Oh My God, I am sorry to have offended You.  I promise never to hurt You again and to love everyone as You want me to.  Amen.

Priest:  Good.  God bless you.

Child:  Thank you, Father.

Narrator:  The child leaves and goes somewhere to say her penance before she forgets.





 

 

 


No comments:

Shepherd One

 Whenever the pope flies anywhere, you will see that the plane is called Shepherd One.  Even so, the Vatican doesn't own any planes.  Th...