Search This Blog

Saturday, September 12, 2020

Rhetorical Device

 

Look at the rhetorical device used in Job 10: 19.

Whose offspring can be honorable? 
          Human offspring.
      Those who fear the Lord are honorable offspring.

Whose offspring can be disgraceful?
           Human offspring.
       Those who transgress the commandment are disgraceful offspring.
Sirach 10: 19

See where the same answer is given for opposite questions, i.e., "honorable" v. "disgraceful"?  Clever, no?  In this way, Ben Sira emphasizes differences among humans.  He is challenging the societal, cultural, and political distinctions among the people.

I wish I could do this.  I know I won't rest until I do.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Galilean Fish Broil

BIBLICALLY BROILED FISH This Lenten recipe comes from “A Continual Feast.”  Note the beautiful story of Jesus appearing to the apostles on t...