Search This Blog

Friday, September 18, 2020

A Good Mystery

 


Chances Are...by Richard Russo is about three friends vacationing on Martha's Vineyard.  Lincoln, Teddy, and Mickey met in college. For graduation, Lincoln invited the other two to his summer home on Martha's Vineyard. There's a girl in the picture, Jacy.

Russo masterly weaves two time periods together.  At that graduation fling, Jacy disappears.  She is never heard from again.  She was engaged (not to Lincoln, Teddy, or Mickey) and had two concerned parents.  No one heard from her.

The other time period is the present time.  Lincoln invited Teddy and Mickey once again.  Lincoln is thinking of selling the property and this might be the only chance the three friends will ever see each other again.  After all, they are now senior citizens.

Naturally, the three reminisce.  The topic is Jacey.  They fantasize about many scenarios.  Lincoln even does some research reading old newspapers, at the library.  He talks to an old policeman who once was the police chief.  

I suspected the jerk neighbor.  But some evidence pointed to Mickey.  The novel is a mystery. It is one of those books that you stay up until two in the morning reading.

And it was worth it.

1 comment:

Melissa Gail said...

I became HIV-positive in 2014, But like most of the over thirty million positive Men/Women worldwide, I was infected by my long-term regular partner. The challenge for every positive person is to take back control of their lives, in "Living Positively" with the virus. I'd always believed that good health was never maintained only by taking medication. More than ever, HIV reinforced for me that health is not just physical health, but also mental, emotional and spiritual well-being. An important part of the healing process for me is to be active in HIV/AIDS education, support and advocacy. I volunteer in a number of HIV/AIDS organizations, and in particular Positive Men/Women, because of the impact of HIV /AIDS . As once a HIV positive person, I will forever be grateful to God Almighty and Doctor Olori to reach me when i thought it is all over, Today am happy with my family living free after the medical doctor have confirmed my HIV status Negative, I have never in my life believed that HIV could be cured by any herbal medicine, I want to make sure that HIV never happens to anyone else. We can't prevent HIV by punishment, by stigma and discrimination. It's only through building a safe, supportive and caring environment, that positive people still have hope and they should contact Dr Olori with this email: droloriherbalcenter@gmail.com,  droloriherbalcenter@yahoo.com He cures HIV and other Viruses like; HEPATITIS B, CANCER, ALS, DIABETES, LYMPH NODES, and lots more. Call or Whatsapp+234811049248.....

Shepherd One

 Whenever the pope flies anywhere, you will see that the plane is called Shepherd One.  Even so, the Vatican doesn't own any planes.  Th...