Search This Blog

Saturday, September 29, 2018

Why I'm Still Catholic In Spite of It All



At first, I thought I couldn't write a post about why I'm still Catholic because my reason is only one word--Eucharist.  It's one word; not even a sentence; certainly not a post.  But I meditated for a few days and came up with lots of reasons.  Let me count the reasons:

1.  Eucharist.  I believe Jesus said what He means.  I don't think He was kidding.  I don't think He was speaking symbolically because He turned a lot of people off.  They left because what He was saying was disgusting.

Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you do not have life within you.  Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day.  For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink.  John 6:53-56

and a few verses later His disciples said: This saying is hard; who can accept it?    John 6: 60

As a result of this, many [of] his disciples returned to their former way of life and no longer accompanied him.  Jesus then said to the Twelve, "Do you also want to leave?"  Simon Peter answered him, "Master, to whom shall we go?  You have the words to eternal life.  John 6: 66-68

2.  Catholic Church.  The Catholic Church is universal and as such reminds me of a mother.  Within the church are conservatives, liberals, those who like Latin Masses, those who like liturgical dance, African music at Mass, quiet Eucharist Adoration, etc.  A mother may have children who are unschooled, well educated, talented, sick, healthy, in prison, exalted, etc.  A mother loves all her children.  Mother Church embraces us all.

3.  History.  The history of the Church is a history of civilization.  It is debatable whether history shaped the church or vice versa.  But it's fascinating, both the good and the bad.

4.  Catholic social teaching.  The Catholic Church educates, treats the sick, and offers more relief services than any other religion or social organization.

5.  Mass.  I love our liturgical ceremonies.

6-7-8-9-10-....sacraments, Mary, saints, traditions, art, architecture, music, poetry, beauty...

Where else could I go?    

No comments:

Shepherd One

 Whenever the pope flies anywhere, you will see that the plane is called Shepherd One.  Even so, the Vatican doesn't own any planes.  Th...