Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 2, 2018

The Man Who Walked With God

Lectio:            Genesis 5: 18-24             


When Jared was one hundred and sixty-two years old, he begot Enoch.  Jared lived eight hundred years after he begot Enoch, and he had other sons and daughters.  The whole lifetime of Jared was nine hundred and sixty-two years; then he died.
   
When Enoch was sixty-five years old, he begot Methuselah.  Enoch walked with God after he begot Methuselah for three hundred years, and he had other sons and daughters. The whole lifetime of Enoch was three hundred and sixty-five years. Enoch walked with God, and he was no longer here, for God took him.

Studium:

Gen 5: 22-24 -- "Enoch walked with God" implies that he did not die, but was taken up to heaven to be with God.  It is said explicitly in Hebrews 11: 5-6, "By faith Enoch was taken up so that he should not see death, and 'he was found no more because God had taken him.'  Before he was taken up, he attested to have please God.  But without faith, it is impossible to please him, for anyone who approaches God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him."
       Enoch believed with his whole heart and mind.  For this, he was rewarded by being taken directly into God's presence without experiencing death.
       In regard to the genealogy, experts have different theories.  But I figure, if they can't agree, who am I to state an opinion on Genesis 5?  I will use the genealogies as mentioning important people.  They probably reflect political and social importance.

Meditatio:

For some reason, I never paid attention to the name Enoch. In fact, I remember discussing the Assumption of Mary when someone said that Elijah and ????? didn't die either, but were taken directly up to God.
       Enoch's name went into one ear and out the other.  Lord, I am so stupid.  I thank you for enlightening me today, in this reading.  I thank you for this opportunity to learn.  I would like to learn more to get closer to You.

Oratio:

Lord, like Thomas Aquinas, all I want is You.  Like Solomon, I ask for the wisdom to get to know You, to learn what You want of me, to learn how to love You, to become like You.

Contemplatio:

Lord, let me walk with You.



No comments:

Simple Explanation of the Mass

 Everything you ever wanted to learn about the Catholic Mass is explained by Mike Aquilina's Understanding the Mass .  This little book,...