Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Where are the good Samaritans?

Last night I was at a club meeting.  I usually bring a member who is handicapped and can't drive.  It's a little inconvenient, but I do it anyway.  At the meeting, another member arrived who lives much closer to my friend than I do.  I asked her to take my friend home.

She very nicely excused herself from that.  She explained that the last time she brought her home, her car got stuck on the steep slope of her driveway.  She drives a standard and she couldn't back up out of her driveway.  My friend's son had to come out and drive her car out.

I understand.  But my friend said, "You don't have to go in the driveway.  I'll walk down.  My husband will meet me and walk down with me."

She still said "No."  She still wasn't comfortable with that arrangement.

It reminded me of the story of the Good Samaritan.  (Like 10: 29-37)  It has been thought that the reason the two Levites passed the injured man along the side of the road, was because the two priests would have made themselves "unclean" by touching him.  I find that inexcusable.  Whatever the reason they passed him by, even if it were because they didn't see him, the reason is still selfish.  They were thinking of themselves, first, not their neighbor's needs.

That's not the end of the story.  Upon leaving, I told my friend that I'd walk out first and bring the car up closer.  But I saw that the light wasn't too good on the steps.  So I asked the closest person to me to go back and help my friend, while I get the car.  She told me that she wasn't too steady herself, and wouldn't be able to.

I asked someone else.  She said that she couldn't see very well, herself.  It would be like the blind leading the blind.

I succeeded in bringing my friend home.  And I did it by myself!

Hubby thinks the reason is that people are so litigation conscious.  They're afraid if they help anyone, and the person falls, they'll be sued.  If fact, he questioned whether I should help her, anymore.

What do you think?




Trinity

 Where did the idea of God being Three Persons, come from?  It came from Jesus.  Matthew 28: 19.   New International Version Therefore go an...