Search This Blog

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Yankee Swap


The Hope of Bethany Lay Dominican Pro-Chapter had an Epiphany Party this morning. Everyone had to bring a pot luck dish of food and a gift. Last night after teaching I was too tired to make any food to bring, or even to wrap a present. So I was going to go to see old friends and just not eat nor participate in the gift exchange.

But I couldn't sleep, last night. Four o'clock found my eyes, wide open. So I got up and made blue berry muffins and wrapped the present. I found a bag of coal and gift wrapped that, too. That made two presents.

The gift exchange is a Yankee Swap. Every one draws a #. Number one picks a present, opens it, and shows everyone.

#2 picks a present. She shows everyone. However, if she wants, she can exchange her gift with # 1.

# 3 picks a present. She shows everyone. But she has two people to swap with. # 4 will have three people to swap. It goes on and on.

You can never tell how the Yankee Swap will go. One year, this ugly planter that looked like a gargoyle was a hit. Everyone wanted it and kept swapping to get it.

This year, people went for the nice present. There was a wallet that kept getting swapped.

The present I picked was a calendar. I swapped it for a candle display that had the word FAITH.

Wonder why I swapped?

No comments:

Galilean Fish Broil

BIBLICALLY BROILED FISH This Lenten recipe comes from “A Continual Feast.”  Note the beautiful story of Jesus appearing to the apostles on t...