Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Anam Cara


Every once in a while, someone buys a new four volume Liturgy of the Hours set.  Then they give me their old one volume Christian Prayer Book, for my "cloistered brothers."  They use the one volume.  This is what happened, today.  As I flipped through the prayer book, to take out any old pictures, newspaper clippings, or pressed flowers, I came across a scrap of paper.

Anam Cara

According to Celtic spiritual tradition, the soul shines all around the body like a luminous cloud.  When you are very open--appreciative and trusting--with another person, your two souls flow together.  This deeply felt bond with another person means you have found your anam cara, or "Soul Friend."  Your anam cara always beholds your light and beauty, and accepts you for who you truly are.  In Celtic spirituality, the anam cara friendship awakens the fullness and mystery of your life.  You are joined in an ancient and eternal union with humanity that cuts across all barriers of time, convention, philosophy, and definition.  When you are blessed with an anam cara, the Irish believe, you have arrived at that most sacred place: -- HOME--.

I have been blessed with many anam caras in my life.  What would be perfect would be to find a spiritual director who would be my anam cara.

Praying from the Heart

 The book I chose for my Lenten reading was Inner Life A Fellow Traveler's Guide to Prayer, by David Torkington.  I finished it this Sun...