Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

That TONE, Again


My "cloistered brothers" and I were talking about what to give up for Lent.  Instead of childishly listing things like candy, gum, sweets, etc.  We thought we would give up, or at least work on, our bad habits.  After all, that's what we confess as sins, again and again and again.  They're habits.  We could work on them for the rest of our lives, and still have them.  But that's what we decided to do.  We are going to work on our bad habits.  Try to be better people.
And for the life of me, I couldn't think of one.  (There's one.)  But I didn't know what to do.  Unanimously, everyone told me to work on my tone.       Moi?  Tone?  
In a way, I really don't know what they mean.  Yeah, yeah, I know what they mean by someone who has a tone.  But I don't.  Do I?
Suppose they're right.  Suppose I'm wrong and what everyone is telling me is correct.  That's terrible.  It's a wonder I have any friends.  
OK.  I'm working on the supposition that I have a "tone."  How do I get rid of it?            Any suggestions?
The only thing I can think of is not to talk.  But that would be impossible.  How about not talking unless I can complement the person I'm talking to?  I don't know how to approach this.  I really don't know what to do.  So until, I can figure out how to eradicate my "tone,"  my conversations will be extremely limited.

No comments:

Trinity

 Where did the idea of God being Three Persons, come from?  It came from Jesus.  Matthew 28: 19.   New International Version Therefore go an...