Search This Blog

Sunday, June 9, 2024

Dying to Live

 

I had a friend who once said that if he ever lived to be 80 years old, he was going to start drinking, drugging, and have unprotected sex.

Over time, I’ve lost contact with that friend.  I wonder if he made it to 80, never mind carrying through with his desires.

I have another friend who is in his 40’s and has been diagnosed with amyloidosis.  This is a life-threatening disease where his body is producing too much protein.  His philosophy is quite different.  He plans to live out the rest of his life, as if he were dying, which he truly is.

                He travels as much as he can afford.
                He’s writing a book.
                He’s making friends everywhere.
                He has forgiven everyone for whatever!  Life is too short to hold grudges.

                He’s learning to play new songs on his guitar.

Which philosophy will you choose to live in 2024? 

Do you know there’s a song, written by Tim Nichols and sung by Tim McGraw, entitled “Live Like You Were Dying?”  The lyrics say it best:

                *…when it sank in
                That this might really be the real end
                How’s it hit ya, when you get that kind of news
                Man what ya do


                And he says
                I went sky divin’
                I went Rocky Mountain climbin’
                I went 2.7 seconds on a bull named Fu Manchu
                And I loved deeper
                And I spoke sweeter
                And I gave forgiveness I’ve been denying
                And he said someday I hope you get the chance
                to live like you were dyin’

It seems to me that my friend who is a 80 year old wanna-be, is very self-gratifying. He’ll be too drunk and drugged to enjoy anything.  “Living like I’m going to die”, is the better philosophy. And that’s my choice, I’m livin' deeper and sweeter, like I’m dying tomorrow.



No comments:

Lectio Revision

 My Lectio Divina needs a face-lift.  I have six steps!  I don't always use the last one, but still.  That's a lot. Lectio, Studium,...