Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Brother Wolf

Brother Wolf, is Eleanor Bourg Nicholson's second novel with Dominican Father Thomas Edmund Gilroy.  I don't know why I started with the second novel, rather than the first, anymore than I know why I've put off reading them until now.  Well, I do know; I'm a fool, that's why.  I thought they'd be silly.

Mea culpa! Mea Culpa.

I loved it.  I couldn't put it down.  All day I rushed to get home to reading.  I dreamt about it. I talked about it.  Did I mention that I loved it?

It's an easy, fast read, probably because the reader wants to see what's ahead.  It's a gothic novel, set around the turn of the 19th century.  It has vampires, and werewolves, and romance, and gypsies, curses, demons, exorcists, and whatever else you want.  

Athene is the young maiden who you will be rooting for.  Her father is oppressive.  Her mother is deceased.  Her father is an ex-priest and joins the group of werewolf hunters to find and save the brother of one of the nuns.  Yes, there are nuns, monks, friars, priests, brothers, professors, believers, and not...  

Athene and everyone do battle against the forces of evil.  And you know who wins.  Light always overcomes darkness.  

I'm hooked and I'm reading Nicholson's first novel and any sequels forth coming.  



No comments:

Birthdays

 Two birthday parties mentioned in the Bible are one by an Egyptian Pharaoh and Herod.  The Pharaoh doesn't have a name but he threw him...