Search This Blog

Friday, November 25, 2022

Advent Wreaths

 Hubby and I try to create memorable moments for our grandchildren.  Christmas is the perfect season to do so.

For months up until a few weeks ago, we were deluged with political advertisements.  Now that that’s gone, we get pleas for money.  Our mailboxes are full, with Christmas cards, but rather organizations begging for money.  Oh, and did you know there’s  war going on?  And I’m not necessarily talking about the Ukrainian/Russian War, but about 40 conflicts ongoing in the world, today.  We are bombarded on all sides with politics, begging, and conflicts.  I need a reprieve.

I don’t want to think about the world and its problems.  I want to think of family—my personal world. I want to enjoy my life by enjoying my family and memories.

On this particular day, I put away my phone.  The grandkids and I were going to make Advent wreaths.  Advent wreaths mark the four weeks before Christmas. That’s a month—too early to put up the Christmas tree.  I used to make a wreath with my own children and now I’m continuing the tradition with my two granddaughters.  I plan to make two: one for their house and one for mine.

Off we went to the dollar store, or as my youngest granddaughter reminds me, it’s the $ 1.25 store, now.  A word to the wise, always begin your crafting projects at the dollar store. Most probably you’ll find what you need much cheaper.  We found the foam rings, they were smaller than what I wanted but they would do.  So far $ 2.50.

We needed four candles to mark the 4 weeks before Christmas--$ 1.25 each. I was making two wreaths, so I needed 8 candles.  My total so far was $ 12.50.  All that’s left is to go for a walk in the woods to find evergreen, pine cones, and berries.  Do you know those two little heretics wanted to know why we didn’t just buy the plastic greenery for the wreaths?  Oh, what Philistines I have bred!  Look what our public educational system has wrought!  Lord have mercy, they know not what they do.

Alas, after considerable yet gentle coercion, we managed to gather enough greenery in our basket and head home, to hot cocoa. Now the first step in making an Advent wreath is to soak the ring in water.  We don’t want our green pine to dry out.  You treat the wreath like a live plant.  Much to my surprise, when I dropped our rings in the water, they floated to the top. 

What?!?

They should have soaked up the water.  Oh!  These rings are Styrofoam. That’s not what I wanted.  I need the type of foam florists use. The next day I went to the expensive craft store.  They had the kind of foam I wanted but none of it was shaped like a ring.  BTW, I learned that what I wanted was called a wet florist foam ring.  I went to another craft store; they didn’t have it either.  I also went to two, two mind you, florist shops.  No luck, even they didn’t have it.  I ended up having to use straw wreaths.

Do you believe that these 5 stores didn’t have Advent wreaths?  It’s bad enough that school concerts at this time of year can’t sing Christmas carols, and even call their concerts “Christmas” but rather “Winter Concerts.”  That we can’t wish each other Merry Christmas, without being accused of being a backward, fundamentalist, now people don’t even know what an Advent wreath is.  No wonder my grandchildren balk at traditions. 

Oh, I guess I’m getting old and grouchy.  Back in the good ole days, holidays had names, Christmas, Hanukkah, Easter, etc.  Back then, celebrations brought families together to make Advent wreaths, decorate Christmas trees, sing Christmas carols, and hunt for Easter eggs.  Traditions change and that may not be for the better.  What replaced the Advent wreath?  The Elf on the Shelf, the mensch on the bench? 

Shall we start a new tradition?  Let’s all sit around the fireplace and play with our cell phones.

How’s that?

There just isn’t any replacement for the Advent wreath.


No comments:

Shepherd One

 Whenever the pope flies anywhere, you will see that the plane is called Shepherd One.  Even so, the Vatican doesn't own any planes.  Th...