Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Patriarchy

 I read "Revival Season" by Monica West with interest because I've felt the healing touch, the author describes so well.  I've seen and experienced these revivals.  Many are helped at least spiritually, if not physically. What I can't relate to is the main protagonist, Miriam's struggles with her pastor/father.

       I guess this type of religion is typical with the black community.  It is extremely focused on the pastor, not God.  Although, the pastor would say that he is "personna Christi."  So you can't question him.  Mmmm, as a Catholic, I'm not unfamiliar with this association.  But even Catholics don't (or shouldn't) confuse the minister with God.  A priest acts as "psersonna Christi" in the Sacrament of Confession but the priest as a man could be a jerk.

      But Miriam was not allowed to question her dad.  She could not preach.  She could not stand on the sanctuary.  Lastly, (the plot of the novel), she couldn't exercise her God-given "gift of healing."

      The author paints the father as brutal, close to being mentally unhinged.  Miriam gets beaten, and the pregnant mother does too, although I don't know why. 

       I know West had no sympathy for the father but I do.  It must be a terrible burden to act as a god with a family and its struggles, in addition to pastoring other people.  This is probably why Catholic priests don't marry.

       West does a good job of showcasing the church's stance on the roles of women at home and the church.  


No comments:

Hockey Playoffs