Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Attitudes Toward Humor

 Humor changes over time.  This may sound horrible to you today, but in the 1950's my father would tell the story of his cat having too many kittens.  So he put the mother cat and the kittens in a potato sack with some rocks and threw it in the river.  When he got home, there was the mother cat sitting on the steps waiting for him.  Everyone laughed--then.

Today it's not funny.  That's what I think happened to me when I tried to read A Confederacy of Dunces.  It must have been funny when John Kennedy Toole wrote the novel in  1980s, but I don't find it funny at all.  The major protagonist, Ignatius J. Reilly is stomach-turning gross.  I can't continue to read it.  I'm putting the book down on page 149.  

Humor changes over time.



No comments:

Hockey Playoffs