Search This Blog

Saturday, July 31, 2021

Is an Audience Necessary?

 Megan McKenna is a storyteller I enjoy listening to.  I first encounter her at the Religious Education Congress in Los Angeles.  I was using her story, "Listen Skillfully," for meditation.  This piece tells of a musician who lost his listener.  Eventually, the musician gave up playing his music.

This reminded me of the question, "If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around, does it make a  sound?"  Of course, because a tree falling vibrated the air, so even though no one heard it, there was noise. So Megan's story had me wondering what the musician heard.  Couldn't he play for himself?  My friend Billy sometimes laments that no one listens to his radio show, but he continues on, anyway--for himself, because he enjoys it.  And I am thankful that Billy does continue.  My life is too crazy to be a faithful listener, but when I have the time, I enjoy Billy's music.

So the answer is "no".  The audience isn't necessary.


No comments:

Shepherd One

 Whenever the pope flies anywhere, you will see that the plane is called Shepherd One.  Even so, the Vatican doesn't own any planes.  Th...