Search This Blog

Sunday, January 20, 2019

Moral Superiority Feels Wonderful

A storm apocalypse was predicted. The severity depended on where you live.  The snow would be followed by rain and depending on how cold the atmosphere was, the rain could be sleet.  This makes for heavy wet snow conditions.  So it was going to be a miserable day.  With all this in mind, at 7:00 AM, I was enjoying warming my hands around a steaming mug of coffee while I prayed my Office.  I wasn't dressed. I was nice and cozy in my pajamas and fleecy warm bathrobe.

Enter hubby.  "We've got to get out there, before everything freezes."

You've got to be kidding me.  Why?  No one else is.  Does only our driveway ice up?  Why do we own the only cars whose doors freeze shut, whose windows won't defrost, whose ignitions won't start, why, why, why?  No one else is up this early?  Can't we wait like normal people and shovel later?

None of these thoughts were expressed, however.  To keep peace I did what hubby wanted. I dressed warmly and proceeded outside to confront the elements.  It is an understood rule that my job is to shovel the steps and sidewalk to the driveway. Hubby snowblows the driveway.  I also clear the snow off the cars and drive them out of the driveway and into the street so the driveway can be cleared completely.  Afterward, I drive the cars back.

I hated to admit it, but once outside the cold air cleared my head, or something.  It felt good. The frozen rain on the tree branches were sparkling like diamond jewels.  It was quiet, (except for the snow blower noise and the sounds of distant sanders and trucks snowplowing).

What's the matter with people?  Why are they sleeping in?  Don't they know they have to shovel the snow before the freezing rain sets in?  They will face a mess and have the devil of a time chopping their cars out of their driveways.

I was happy that hubby made me get out and get going.  Now that we were done and looked over our work, we could relax.  Our sidewalk was clear and salted. Our driveway looked good.  The cars had no snow on them and should be ready to go with just a five minute warm up, in the morning.  

One last detail was needed.  Tomorrow was trash and recycling pickup day.  We put our bins out.  

How's that neighbors!  You are all a bunch of lazy sluggards!

Now we were free to go inside, take a hot shower, eat breakfast, and enjoy a comfortable day without the chore of shoveling hanging over us.  Moral superiority feels wonderful.

No comments:

Shepherd One

 Whenever the pope flies anywhere, you will see that the plane is called Shepherd One.  Even so, the Vatican doesn't own any planes.  Th...