Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Catholic as an Adjective

A discussion arose on Facebook regarding the use of the Nicene Creed or the Apostle's Creed.  I've often wondered myself why sometimes we pray one and sometimes the other.  The dilemma wasn't solved but the commentary was interesting, I thought.

A question for my Catholic Facebook friends. Why do some priests insist on saying the Apostles Creed at Mass, never the Nicene Creed? Do they have an objection to the latter?

One poster commentated that the Apostle's Creed was something every Christian could pray since the word Catholic was used with a small "c", meaning the universal church, meaning universal Christian faith. Every tenet in the Apostle's Creed was acceptable to all Christians so the prayer is ecumenical.  

I always knew that the word catholic meant universal but I never noticed before today's Mass (Feast of Mary, the Holy Mother of God, January 1) that in the church missal, the word catholic had a small "c".  I thought we prayed the Apostle's Creed because it was shorter than the Nicene Creed.  Of course, that may very well be true, too.

No comments:

Shepherd One

 Whenever the pope flies anywhere, you will see that the plane is called Shepherd One.  Even so, the Vatican doesn't own any planes.  Th...