Search This Blog

Sunday, August 19, 2018

Too Many Fools

At first, I loved Richard Russo's novel, Nobody's Fool.  But now that I finished it, I don't.  Oh, Russo is an excellent writer.  He had me hooked.  I stayed up late until I finished the book.  I enjoyed the deprecating zingers the characters snapped back at each other.  I thought the different scenarios the author put us through were creative. I really do recommend the book.

But I know too many Sullys.  My Dad was close to being one.  I worked with one.  My co-worker needed a set of false teeth.  He saved and saved until he had enough money.  The weekend before he was to be fitted, he gambled away his savings.  So he had no false teeth.  Isn't that something Sully would do?

Sully is the protagonist.  He's mostly unemployed.  When he works he's in construction.  I know a lot of those construction workers too.  Many are day workers, like Sully.  Sully's son loses his teaching job and starts to work alongside Sully.  The characters are very well drawn.  I either know them in real life or can imagine them easily.  The dialogue is humorous.

I'm giving this book to my friend, Joan, to enjoy.  She needs to get a grip on reality and see how the other half lives.  

No comments:

Shepherd One

 Whenever the pope flies anywhere, you will see that the plane is called Shepherd One.  Even so, the Vatican doesn't own any planes.  Th...