Search This Blog

Friday, August 15, 2014

The Howl of the Dragon


Revelation 11:19a; 12: 1-6a, 10ab always made me shudder.  Imagine going through childbirth and having an evil creature waiting to catch your newborn.  That's a nightmare for sure.

Since today is the Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, this very scripture was the reading.

She was with child and wailed aloud in pain as she labored to give birth....Then the dragon stood before the woman about to give birth, to devour her child when she gave birth.

The image is really alive for me since my daughter gave birth four days ago.  I pray I don't have nightmares.

Her child was caught up to God and his throne.

There is a happy ending.  Deo Gratias!

But that dragon is still out there.  Don't forget that.  Think of all the hostilities all over the world.  That dragon has hold and wants to swallow us.  But remember, you know the end of the story.  He doesn't win.  The dragon has been defeated.  He still prowls around and makes horrible bellowing noises and creates disorder, but we must stay focused on God.

Now have salvation and power come/ and the Kingdom of our God/ and the authority of his Anointed One.

Praying from the Heart

 The book I chose for my Lenten reading was Inner Life A Fellow Traveler's Guide to Prayer, by David Torkington.  I finished it this Sun...