The Gate House by Nelson DeMille is a sequel to The Gold Coast. I didn't read The Gold Coast, so the characters are new to me. I don't usually read novels in order, except for Louise Penny's Three Pine mysteries. Books call me by name at Library Book Sales, Yard Sales, free tables--here and there, gifts, and handed over, by friends. My friends know I'm on a Nelson DeMille kick, now, so The Gate House was given to me.
I never quite got the geography of exactly where the gate house was located, on the estate. But I didn't worry about it because I thought it was an unnecessary complication, in the plot. I still think so. The main character, John Sutter has returned home, after ten years. A family servant, friend, and client has died. John lived with her for a while, was her lawyer, and friend.
He had left, in the first place, because he was divorced from his unfaithful wife, who had murdered her lover, who was John's client, who was also a mafioso.
Following?
Capice?
John is back. It turns out that as soon as John and his ex see each other, they resume their relationship and plan to remarry. However, if they do remarry, the in-laws will retract their financial support, which is considerable. But that's minor, compared to the problem of the mafioso's son, who wants revenge.
That's the plot. It's a big book. But I took my time reading the story and I did enjoy it.

No comments:
Post a Comment