Search This Blog

Monday, March 18, 2024

Praying from the Heart

 The book I chose for my Lenten reading was Inner Life A Fellow Traveler's Guide to Prayer, by David Torkington.  I finished it this Sunday, the fifth Sunday of Lent.  David, and note that from reading this remanence, I feel that I know David Torkington, so well that he's David, not Mr. Torkington.  Not only that, I love him!  If he were in my circle of friends, we'd be talking on the phone constantly and texting, like crazy.

I can relate to his story, so easily.  David tells of his spiritual journey.  Most of it doesn't work because it's not suppose to.  That's the point.  If it were easy, we'd all be cloistered religious.  David tells of his lifelong journey to learn to pray so that it's heart-felt.  

We begin "tongue prayer."  I mean recitation of prayers.  We move on to intellectual prayers.  We understand them as we pray.  But it's when you shut your mouth and mind, that your heart takes over.  That's praying.


No comments:

Shepherd One

 Whenever the pope flies anywhere, you will see that the plane is called Shepherd One.  Even so, the Vatican doesn't own any planes.  Th...