Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Cheering for Chris


 Many times I've wallowed in grief over my friend, Chris, who died in December 2022.  I wrote how we met and the poem I wrote when I needed her.

Missing Chris*

Happy is he who finds a friend and he who speaks to attentive ears. Sirach 25:9


My soul mate, Chris would help with my mess,
over spinach artichoke dip, nachos,
ice tea, girl-talk, dope slaps, and laughter;
deftly would your perspective fix my problem;
snap smooth wrinkled excuses and cobwebbed thoughts,
as we share late night secrets and pray for grace.

*from The Preacher Poets, Dominicus Books, Inc., 2008, page 15.


Chris was also a fan of the New England Patriot's Football Team, especially Tom Brady, when he was their quarterback. She went to as many games as she could and when she didn't have tickets, she went to a sports bar in Gillette Stadium (where the Patriots play) and in that charged atmosphere she watched her team play on the big TVs.  She would have loved the movie *80 for Brady.*   It's about four octogenarians who love the Pats and Tom Brady, just like Chris did. 

I went to see it for her.  I would not have ever entertained the thought.  I never liked "Golden Girls." I thought the show demeaning.  It was unbecoming and unseemly for senior citizens to talk dirty and act sexy.  And that's what "80 for Brady" is about.  But Chris would have loved it, so I considered going for her.

As fate would have it, I won a ticket to go!  My Senior Center had a lottery to go to the movie, and I won one of the tickets.


I had the best time, as you can see from these pictures taken at the movie theater in Gillette Stadium.



and thus it is that I am inspired to write another poem for Chris.  

Cheering for Chris

1 Thessalonians 4: 13-15

“We do not want you to be unaware, brothers, about those who have fallen asleep, so that you may not grieve like the rest, who have no hope.  For if we believe that Jesus died and rose, so too will God, through Jesus, bring with Him those who have fallen asleep.”

 

My friend, Chris, who loved the Patriots,
       would have wanted to see “80 for Brady.”
And so I went for Chris, to see, to laugh, and maybe
       to lessen the feel of my grief laden cross.

Chris would have howled with laughter,
      and so I watched for the two of us.
Cheering, clapping, enjoying, plus
      thinking of your happiness ever after.

No comments:

Hockey Playoffs