Search This Blog

Friday, July 29, 2022

Does God Change His Mind?

 

The LORD said to Moses,
"Go down at once to your people,
whom you brought out of the land of Egypt,
for they have become depraved.
They have soon turned aside from the way I pointed out to them,
making for themselves a molten calf and worshiping it,
sacrificing to it and crying out,
'This is your God, O Israel,
who brought you out of the land of Egypt!'
"I see how stiff-necked this people is, " continued the LORD to Moses.
Let me alone, then,
that my wrath may blaze up against them to consume them.
Then I will make of you a great nation."

But Moses implored the LORD, his God, saying,
"Why, O LORD, should your wrath blaze up against your own people,
whom you brought out of the land of Egypt
with such great power and with so strong a hand?
Remember your servants Abraham, Isaac, and Israel,
and how you swore to them by your own self, saying,
'I will make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky;
and all this land that I promised,
I will give your descendants as their perpetual heritage.'"
So the LORD relented in the punishment
he had threatened to inflict on his people.

STUDIUM:

God does not change.  He already knows what He will do but for our human understanding He responds to our prayers.  There are examples in the Bible where God does change His mind, but it is always in response to mankind's prayers.  Think of a parent who has a gift for a child, yet tells his child that if he/she is good, a gift will result.  The parent can and cannot give the gift but most probably the parent knows the child will be good.

MEDITATIO:

This story proves that prayers matter. Repentance matters. God uses these human emotions to send His grace down upon us. God wants us to repent and pray and have a relationship with Him.  As such, He will respond.



ORATIO:

Lord, You are the source of all good things.  You know what I need and what I will do.  Guide me to do Your Will.

CONTEMPLATIO:

Lord, grant me the grace to love and pray.

RESOLUTIO:

I need to spend more conversational time with God.




No comments:

Hands Up Don't Shoot

  Our Lady of Ferguson Icon by Mark Doox Icons are written because they are stories. This story began in the city of Ferguson, Missouri, whi...