Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Love is Evident

Since I'm the lector for the Second Sunday in Ordinary Time, I will be proclaiming the Responsorial Psalm.  To understand it the best that I am able, I am doing a Lectio Divina on it. This is the selection:

Lectio: Psalm 40: 2, 4, 7-8, 8-9, 10.

R.     Here am I, Lord; I come to do your will.       


I have waited, waited for the Lord,
and he stooped toward me and heard my cry.
And he put a new song into my mouth,
a hymn to our God.

Sacrifice or offering you wished not
but ears open to obedience you gave me.
Holocausts or sin-offerings you sought not;
then said I, "Behold I come."

"In the written scroll it is prescribed for me,
to do your will, O my God, is my delight,
and your law is within my heart!"

I announced your justice in the vast assembly;
I did not restrain my lips, as you,
O Lord, know.

Studium:

These verses are only selections from Psalm 40.  The psalm in its entirety sings of the experiences of being exiled.  Temple sacrifices are helpful but the worship of God needs expressions of love.  Psalm 40 also has supplication and thanksgiving.  These expressions speak of interior postures for the type of worship God wants.

The beginning has the psalmist listening to God.  His prayers are being answered.  He is learning the type of worship God desires.  Praise and glory to God, express the correct thanksgiving and love.  Obedience to God's commandments is his due.  The psalmist delights in pleasing God.

Meditatio

Everything I have is given by the Lord.  All my talents, gifts, family, etc. are freely given and due through the grace of God.  Of course, I owe Him everything; it's His to begin with.  And what does He want in return?  He asks for obedience to His Will.  Following His way with love of Him is the best I can do.

Oratio:

Lord, Jesus Christ, I owe you everything I am.  I give you thanks and praise.  The least I can do for you is obey your commandments and teachings.  Help me hear Your voice, O Lord.  I come to do Your will.

Contemplatio:

Glory and praise to You, O Lord.  Pleasing You is all I desire.

No comments:

Simple Explanation of the Mass

 Everything you ever wanted to learn about the Catholic Mass is explained by Mike Aquilina's Understanding the Mass .  This little book,...