Search This Blog

Sunday, October 4, 2015

Bible Roulette

Picture by MEK

Have you ever played Bible roulette?  Here's how it works:  you have three chances to find one verse in the Bible that will apply to you.  I'll play it for you.

I'm using King James Version for absolutely no other reason than this is the one closest to me, on the book self.  I flip the pages.  Near the beginning I stop.  It's Judges.  I pick Chapter 12.  I close my eyes and my finger rests on 12.  So my first chance is Judges 12:12.  It says:

And E'-lon the Zeb'-u-lon-ite died, and was buried in Ai'-ja-lon in the country of Zeb'-u-lun.

Yikes, am I going to die soon?  Someone I love?  I don't like this game.

Quick, I'm choosing another verse, near the end of the Bible.  It's Hebrews.  I pick chapter 5.  I close my eyes and my finger rest on Hebrews 5: 6:

As he saith also in another place, THOU ART A PRIEST FOR EVER AFTER THE ORDER OF MEL-CHIS'-E-DEC.

At first I thought "well, that doesn't apply to me."  Then I remembered that a priest that I think of fondly, has just left the priesthood and has applied to be laicized.  And yes, he is a priest forever.

One more chance!  I'll pick something in the middle, this time.  It's II Chronicles.  I pick chapter 29.  I'll pick verse one.

HEZ-E-KI'-AH began to reign when he was five and twenty years old, and he reigned nine and twenty years in Jerusalem.

This verse has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with my life.

I don't like this game--Bible Roulette.  I don't think these verse have anything to do with me.  Maybe number two does, but not directly to my life.

Bible Roulette is a silly game.  Don't waste your time on it.

No comments:

Galilean Fish Broil

BIBLICALLY BROILED FISH This Lenten recipe comes from “A Continual Feast.”  Note the beautiful story of Jesus appearing to the apostles on t...