Search This Blog

Sunday, February 19, 2012

What's Lent?


What's it all about? Lent is a special time of prayer, penance, sacrifice and good works in preparation of the celebration of Easter. It is touted as lasting 40 days. Don't believe that number anymore than you can believe that it rained 40 days for Noah. 40 is just a number telling you that it was a long time, not years, not half years, but more than one month. It's to give you a feel of the time. Nit pickers will object, but they just have to suck it up, offer it up.

OK nit pickers, I'll have pity on you. Don't count the Sundays in Lent. Is that 40 days? Well, how about don't count the Sundays and stop at Holy Thursday. Bingo!

Now see! I've been side-tracked. The devil's in the details!

Lent is a time of preparation for Easter by thinking more of God and thinking of Jesus' sacrifice by sacrificing more and praying more, ourselves.

What am I sacrificing? Every year I do without cream and sugar in my coffee. Do you know how hard that is? The first year I did it, I held my nose and swallowed black coffee like it was yukky medicine. Now I've got to the point where I can drink it anyway, but I prefer "extra-extra."

To that sacrifice I'm adding not wearing jewelry. My wedding ring doesn't count.

What am I doing extra? In my quiet meditation and examination of conscience, I'm going to pick one person that I've encountered that day, and pray for him/her. Maybe somebody who looked like they needed prayers: worried, sad, angry, upset; there's lot to pray for.

No comments:

Galilean Fish Broil

BIBLICALLY BROILED FISH This Lenten recipe comes from “A Continual Feast.”  Note the beautiful story of Jesus appearing to the apostles on t...