The USCCB is asking Catholics to “fast” on Friday, February 3, by limiting their food spending to the allotment on the USDA Modified Thrifty Food Plan--about $18 for a family of four.
The theme of the February First Fridays for Food Security initiative is food insecurity and climate change. “Food insecurity is also a serious problem globally and is often intensified by climate change,” states a USCCB flyer. “According to a recent report by the Food and Agriculture Organization, climate change will significantly affect the availability of water for growing food and for crop production globally. This will disproportionately affect poor people in rural areas whose livelihoods are closely connected to agriculture and natural resources.”
Search This Blog
Thursday, February 2, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Not for Monkey Brains
How many times have I attempted to read The Cloud of Unknowing? Once, T wice ? I guess three times is a Trinity! I finished it. Once I ...
-
St Dominic and the Devil by Pietro della Vecchia D Don't you just love legends? I mean stories. St. Dominic stories abound. Of cou...
-
Yesterday, I posted about a sculpture on the top of a column in the church of St. Mary Magdalen , in Vezelay, France . Meditating upon the...
-
My Lay Dominican Chapter, Our Lady of Mercy, has the best spiritual director. Today he gave us, what my "cloistered brothers" ca...
No comments:
Post a Comment