Search This Blog

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Cyprian's Letter

Saint Cyprian
This AM I was reading a letter by Saint Cyprian, bishop and martyr.  He is writing to his fellow Christians about what the Emperor Valerian did to the Pope.  Since I tend to converse in hyperbole, I was bemused by the casual tone of his missive.  He lists the atrocities as if he were listing grocery supplies:
Emperor Valerian
If these Christians do not recant:
Senators, distinguished men ----- deprived of rank and property
Upper class ladies ----- deprived and exiled
Imperial staff ----- property confiscated and imprisoned
Sixtus II ----- put to death
4 Deacons ----- put to death

Was St. Cyprian in shock?  How could he so calmly write about such vile slaughter!  Granted, not everyone's a drama queen, but for cryin' out loud, atrocities cry out for notice.  Someone's has to call attention to evil machinations.

Contemplating Cyprian's letter I see that he, and probably his readers, were actually rejoicing.  Yes, rejoicing.    They considered martyrdom a welcome goal.  They were happy for Pope Sixtus II, who was beheaded in his chair.  BTW, that bloodied chair was enthroned behind Sixtus II grave.

...we are standing firm in faith and ready to endure suffering, in expectation of winning the crown of eternal life through the help and mercy of the Lord.


How's that for Faith?! (See Aug. 6, 2010 post) I am humbled, humbled I tell you, to read of these early Christians.  I'm afraid I wouldn't be so eager to sacrifice my life.  Well, maybe, like fellow blogger Kat, I could if I were killed quickly.  I guess God knew what he was doing when he put me in this century.

Let all our people fix their minds not on death but rather on immortality; let them commit themselves to the Lord in complete faith and unflinching courage and make their confession with joy rather than in fear, knowing that in this contest the soldiers of God and Christ are not slain but rather win their crowns.



Then Cyprian, who himself is eventually martyred, closes his letter:

Farewell in the Lord, dearest brother.


Indeed, Farewell in the Lord.









Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Galilean Fish Broil

BIBLICALLY BROILED FISH This Lenten recipe comes from “A Continual Feast.”  Note the beautiful story of Jesus appearing to the apostles on t...