Search This Blog

Sunday, June 27, 2010

"You're So Vain"

This is my friend, John.  He went to hear and critique the Talk I gave today.  He prayed too.  I was giving a Talk to the St. Martin de Porres Chapter of Lay Dominicans, in Natick, MA.  I was talking about the spirituality of Father Jean Joseph Lataste, O.P. 

Afterwards, John and I went to Dunkin Donuts.  John thought my Talk went OK.  We think the Natick Chapter learned something new and have a new appreciation for my cloistered brothers.  But then the conversation turned to God, and about God, and for God--you know--Dominican stuff.  We must have spent an hour there.

Somewhere in the conversation the talk came to "perfection."  Is it really humble to deny your talents and downplay your accomplishments?  Aren't we suppose to try to be perfect, as our heavenly Father is perfect?  How does one combine humility with perfection?  Is that the aim of Christianity--to be perfectly humble?  How about humbly perfect?

If I am good at something, and thank God for my talent, and work at perfecting that talent, isn't that giving praise to God?  Rejoicing in my God given gift is honoring God.

When does one cross the line to vanity?

No comments:

Galilean Fish Broil

BIBLICALLY BROILED FISH This Lenten recipe comes from “A Continual Feast.”  Note the beautiful story of Jesus appearing to the apostles on t...