Saturday, April 25, 2009

Our Lady of the Snows.

This is my second day on vacation in Maine. It wasn't good. I was dragging. I didn't sleep well.

I like to go to church on vacation because Dick goes with me. Outside of Christmas and Easter, it's the only time he goes. So you better believe that attending church is a priority.

Would you believe that that's all we did today? What a drag! And to top it off, we almost didn't go to church because I was too tired and had a head ache.

First of all, it's hot up here. I expected Maine to be cool so I didn't pack any shorts or tank tops. So I was hot, irritable, cranky, and tired.

I fouond two choices for churches. One was St. Catherine of Sienna in Norway, ME and the other was St.Athanasiu & St. John in Rumford, ME. We decided to find the one in Rumford, first.

Why? Because my mother was born there and I was curious about it. It took a long time to get there. About an hour. We found a nice park, Ed Muskie Memorial. There's a power plant there and waterfalls. It reminded me of Lawrence and Lowell, MA because there are a lot of old mills. I took some pictures of that park.

We found St. Athanasius & St. John. We didn't go inside, but it looked beautiful. Then we went to lunch.

I was getting stiff from the ride. We had the sun roof open and the sun was unbearably hot on my head and I had a head ache. I was pretty miserable and asked to stop. I wanted to change my clothes, but since I didn't bring any clothes for hot weather, we had to shop. I hate to shop. I only do it on line, but we found a WALMART and we ran in and bought shorts and tanks. Whew!

That solved my temperature problem, but I still had a head ache and we didn't find St. Catherine of Sienna. I was just too miserable, so we came home.

We were almost home when we passed this little church that we missed. Our Lady of the Snows--a mission attached to St. Athanasius & St. John's. It said to call for Mass time.

I just wanted to go home.

I also was thinking of going to bed, so that would mean no Mass on Sat. because it was around 4 o'clock. Dick would never wake up early to go to church, so I was thinking the whole day was wasted looking for a church, for nothing. I'd never make Mass.

But once home, after a cool drink, and calling Our Lady of the Snows, I felt differently. I found out Mass was at 6:00 PM.

We went. Dick liked it. He said the church was nice. He liked the priest, too--Fr. Angelo LeVasseur.

God is good, all the time.

No comments:

Post News: Why we can't stop eating junk food decoded

Post News: Why we can't stop eating junk food decoded :  Foods that are rich in both fats and carbohydrates have a particularly stro...