Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Marian Symbol

This is the symbol on the inside cover of the Catholic Women's Club.  It's the same symbol that graces the cover, every year.  I don't particularly like it.  It looks too spindly.  A child could have drawn it.  But it must have had some meaning for the club to choose that particular emblem.  I asked around and no one seems to know.  I googled it, too.

I was looking for a name for it.  Something like Chi Rho, Tau, Jerusalem cross, would be nice.  But no one seems to know.

If you break down the picture, you see the Ave Maria symbol on the bottom.  A crown is on the top.  So Mary, Queen of ????????.  It's the flower in the middle, that's the puzzle.  It could be a lily, except a lily doesn't have petals that point down.  Maybe it's a sorrowful lily?  It could be an edelweiss.

Mary, Queen of purity --  lily.
Mary, Queen of sorrow -- downward petals.
Mary, noble queen--edelweiss.

Last Sunday, I found myself sitting in a pew, in an area where I don't usually sit.  I looked up and saw this.

It's beautiful.  Now here's a symbol to be proud of; whatever  it represents.

No comments:

Trinity

 Where did the idea of God being Three Persons, come from?  It came from Jesus.  Matthew 28: 19.   New International Version Therefore go an...