Search This Blog

Monday, April 10, 2023

Prudence

 The book, Prudence, Choose Confidently, Live Boldly by Father Gregory Pine, OP was a Lenten Read.  It was perfect for Lent.  It lasted the 40+ days, as I only read a bit each day.  It's not the type of book to read as fiction, as a page turner, nor something to read in bed, at night.  I read it as meditative reading, which is what made it perfect for Lent.  

Before reading this book, I never gave prudence, a thought.  I don't know what I thought it was, but it was a revelation to me that it mostly is patience to wait for reflection.  That's my interpretation.  Patience is exactly what I need.  I'm too impulsive and I've gotten into trouble more than a few times due to lack of what I now know as prudence.

Father Pine ties this natural virtue to the catechism's Cardinal Virtues: fortitude, justice, temperance, and prudence. We have to pray for God's guidance. God's plans are at work in our own talents in life.  Prudence gives us the insight to see how we can fulfill God's plans.  Good book to bring on retreat!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Prudence was a concept I had never considered until reading this book. It was a revelation to me that waiting for reflection mostly requires patience, despite what I may have previously believed. That is how I interpret it. I definitely need patience. I have a problem with being overly impulsive, and I've made a number of bad decisions that I now see as being unwise.

Trinity

 Where did the idea of God being Three Persons, come from?  It came from Jesus.  Matthew 28: 19.   New International Version Therefore go an...