Search This Blog

Thursday, April 20, 2023

It's Not Perfect, But It's the Best We Have

 Garry Wills is Catholic and loves his church, that's why he's always criticizing it. I cut him a lot of slack. I understand because I love the people in my family, yet I can't help wanting them to be perfect and all too often nag, harangue, criticize, and plain old annoy them. Wills reminds me of me.

I'm not a theologian, so I can't criticize his theology. I look at his critique as his opinion, not the last word. I googled a bit and surmised that secular publications liked this book, Papal Sin, and Catholic publications picked it apart.

What I liked best about Papal Sin is the history behind the topics he chose to write about: Holocaust, Humanae Vitae, Marianology, Maxmillian Kolbe, Edith Stein, etc. Of course, Wills cherry picked to prove his points, but his view is food for thought.

And it's only his view, his opinion. Read Papal Sin for Garry Wills' smooth writing articulation. He has a way with words. He is clear, succinct, clever, and writes for the masses. Just keep in mind, that theologians contest his views and challenge his Catholicity. He is a church going Catholic and that's why he criticizes.

No comments:

Sisterhood

  Sisterhood Two girls, who like to play sisters. Both wear different headscarves. One is a hijab. One is a tichel. Will we grow old? Will w...