Search This Blog

Friday, March 3, 2023

Egocentricity

 The time is 1950s, I am in the sixth grade.  I walked to school, and going home I walked in a patrol line. The sixth graders were leaders of the patrol lines.  One sixth grader walked in front, another in back, and if there were more sixth graders, they would walk beside the line of children.  Patrol leaders wore white belts across their chests with a shiny white badge pinned to it.  

Early in the sixth grade, the principal, Mrs. Woodbury, came into the class to talk to us about patrol lines, i.e., how we were now leaders in the school, role models, loyal, and respected. Then she said that one of us were to be chosen "captain" of the patrol leaders.

Who would that be?  Could it be me? I wondered.

The principal continued; this child was a good student.  That's me.  This child was well behaved.  That's me.  Friendly--that's me.  Kind--that's me.  Got along well with adults as well as children.  That's me.  Supportive and loyal to Oakland Avenue School.  That's me.  A good example--that's me, me, ME!  

I couldn't wipe the smile off my face.

The child's name was Ellen Jane Smotlack.  Ellen Jane Smotlack?  Not me?  I was shocked, not me.  I'm still in shock.  Not that Ellen Jane Smotlack was not a good choice, but n-o-t ME?  How could this be?  Not me.  Unbelievable.


                           Nowadays, the belts are phlorescent green instead of white.

No comments:

Shepherd One

 Whenever the pope flies anywhere, you will see that the plane is called Shepherd One.  Even so, the Vatican doesn't own any planes.  Th...