Search This Blog

Thursday, April 5, 2018

Teacher's Evaluation

Much to my surprise, my baby Catholics want me to demand more from them.  I'm talking about the people who came into the Church during the Easter Vigil.  We had a meeting today to celebrate their new status and also to critique my RCIA class.

They want homework.  I never gave any because everybody is too busy.  Taking that into account, they suggested that the homework not be mandatory but suggested.  So I'll try it and see if they do it.

The next suggestion was interesting.  Instead of one topic a class, to have many topics each class and repeat them for the rest of the year.  For example, instead of a class on the Mass, a class on Jesus, a class on the sacraments, a class on prayer, a class on the Bible, a class on the Catechism, do them all in each and every class.  That comes out to 20 minutes on each of those topics which would take up the class' two hours.  In that way when a catechumen misses a class, he won't miss the entire topic. 

I also should keep attendance to the point of who wasn't there to learn the topics on that day and give them make-up materials.  I also have to stay on topic and keep the catechumens on topic.  Venting to a certain extent is permitted but must be brought back to topic. 

IOW, I was too easy on them.  They want homework.  They want to keep to the subjects and not go off on tangents.  They want attendance taken and to be made accountable.

Lord, help me.

No comments:

Galilean Fish Broil

BIBLICALLY BROILED FISH This Lenten recipe comes from “A Continual Feast.”  Note the beautiful story of Jesus appearing to the apostles on t...