Search This Blog

Friday, January 28, 2011

New Psalm

The news tonight is flooded with the trouble in Egypt.  It seems particularly upsetting because there's always some country whose people are protesting one thing or another.  But this time, the news breaks into the regular programming again, and again.  It's serious.

I started to pray for the Egyptians.  My prayer turned to psalm.  I wrote it down.  As I've said before, the most focused prayer (for me) is psalm writing.  The entire psalm turned into synonymous parallelism.  The outline is Introductory Lament (1), Lament (2-4), Trust (5-9), Praise and Conclusion (10-12).

Psalm (Lament)

(1)Come Lord, help your people.
(2)Rescue the innocent from evil.

(3)The people are angry;
(4)they cannot think, only feel.

(5)I know You are everywhere,
(6)although it seems like you're gone.

(7)You are the God of all.
(8)We are Your people.

(9)You are our refuge.
(10)O glorious God!

(11)Come rescue your people.
(12)O glorious God!

As I pray and look it over, it seems to me that this prayer is universal.  Not only does the psalm apply to the current craziness in Egypt, but to my own country as well.    Amen!
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

Jolly jumbles said...

This is a great way of praying. Today was the first time for I looked at the world and was filled with sadness and expressed to GOd what I was feeling and realised that this is what the psalmists did.
Thank you for sharing as I have just learnt a new way to feel open to talk to God in a real way.

Jolly jumbles said...

This is a great way of praying. Today was the first time for I looked at the world and was filled with sadness and expressed to GOd what I was feeling and realised that this is what the psalmists did.
Thank you for sharing as I have just learnt a new way to feel open to talk to God in a real way.

Black Masking Indians

 The church, St. Augustine, is the oldest Black Catholic parish in the United States, located in Treme, Louisianna.  Tremé is the oldest Afr...