Search This Blog

Saturday, February 15, 2020

Maybe Mary was Prettier than Martha

There are certain scriptures that I'm pretty sure resonate with all women.  One is the poor woman who was suffering from hemorrhages.  I know that I thought of her every time I menstruated.  (Mark 5: 25-34) There is another story that comes to mind more often.  This is the story of Mary and Martha.  (Luke 10: 38-42) I know the point Jesus was making.  Faith is important and work can wait.  But I would have had a different ending.  I would have Jesus saying, "Oh Martha, you are right.  One person should not be left out of my teaching and company.  Let us all (including Jesus [after all, He broke rules, why not this one] and Martha) and prepare our meal together.  We can talk in the kitchen and carry on while we eat and enjoy each other's company.
     But alas, I'm not Luke relating the story.  This came to mind while I was cleaning.  My cleaning consists of cleaning out my magazines.  And that means I'm doing more reading than cleaning.
   In Adam Cooper's poem in January 2018, First Things, he depicts Martha as emotionally hurt.  Yes, Jesus wasn't on her side, even though she was correct.  She needed help.  She wanted to listen to Him.  She wanted to sit at His feet, too.  She wanted His companionship.  She felt ignored.  She felt left out. She thought Jesus would understand.  Instead...Jesus rebuked her.


Here's Adam Cooper's take:

Saint Martha and the Dragon

Never a housewife weary and embattled
Looked up with more heartfelt dismay to hear
Her Lord's rebuke.  Her eyes are startled blear,
And every straining nerve of her is rattled:
She'd fought and butchered cows and bucking goats,
And hammered out the gristled-knotted flesh
(She looked for burns and bruises and the rest),
But words so hard from his mouth catch her throat.
And yet she girds her loins for this one thing,
To sit beside her sister at his feet,
While dishes burn and stewpots, seething, spill.
And later, when the serpent made a spring
At her, she stood her ground, by one thing stilled,
Lassoed it fast, and watched its eyes go sweet.

No comments:

Shepherd One

 Whenever the pope flies anywhere, you will see that the plane is called Shepherd One.  Even so, the Vatican doesn't own any planes.  Th...