Search This Blog

Thursday, August 1, 2019

All is Vanity

Lectio:

Ecclesiastes 1:2; 2:21-23

Vanity of vanities, says Qoheleth,it
vanity of vanities!  All things are vanity!

Here is one who has labored with wisdom and knowledge
and skill,
and yet to another who has not labored over it,
he must leave his property.
This also is vanity and a great misfortune.
For what profit comes to man from all the toil and
anxiety of heart
with which he has labored under the sun?
All his days sorrow and grief are his occupation;
even at night his mind is not at rest.
This also is vanity.

Studium:

Qoheleth is the narrator, the unknown author of Ecclesiastes. He writes as Solomon, to assume authority.  It was written around 300 B.C. Not in this short passage but in the Book of Ecclesiastes, vanity is used about forty times.  So, of course, that's the message.
    What are we working so hard for?  Death comes to all and you can't take it with you.
     I think of the china I bought to complete my dinner set.  It really is too expensive for my lifestyle, so why did I skimp and save to buy it.  I added a piece, a year. Especially since none of my children want it.  Vanity!!!!

Meditatio:

The only concern we really should have is the state of our soul.  It shouldn't be to have any status symbols like a big house or car or a trophy wife.  They don't bring happiness, anyway.  We all die and having our lives in order should be our concern.

Oratio:

I know all will be well if I keep my eyes on the Lord.  He should come first, husband next, family after.  Everything else will be what it should be.

Contemplatio:

All things are vanity!  Only You, Lord are most hight.  Blessed be the name of the Lord.

Resolutio:

Stop worrying.  Turn everything over to God.

No comments:

Shepherd One

 Whenever the pope flies anywhere, you will see that the plane is called Shepherd One.  Even so, the Vatican doesn't own any planes.  Th...