Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Stuck

You know how I take "P & P" (Pray and Play) Days off from work, every now and then.  Well today, I took a "CBBC" (Clean Before Book Club) Day off.  (yeah...yeah...book club should meet here more often)

This morning I did errands, bought train ticks to N.J. to see Omega, got lab work done, and did an exercise work out to a TV program.  The work out instructor said something that got me thinking.  (yeah...yeah...I should do that more often, too)  She was talking about when you reach a plateau in your weight loss program.  She was obviously talking about exercise.  But I was thinking how it would apply to everything.  Well, why not?

She said, "Stop what you're doing and think how you could "vary" it."  One example would be a walking program.  If you routinely walk to lose weight and you've reached a plateau where you've stayed the same for a long time, well, vary it, e.i., speed walk for a section.  Then walk normal to catch your breath.  Try doing that again.  Speed walk and then slow to normal.  See if that makes a difference.

If you swim laps, try treading water for a period of time, then finish with laps.  Get the idea.

Well, if that works for physical gain, why wouldn't it work for spiritual plateaus/ dryness.  If you're spacing out doing the Rosary, walk while praying, then sit, then stand.  I've used different media to vary the routine: I've prayed with Father Reed on Boston Catholic TV; I've used the Rosary App on my iPhone; I've used CD's; I've prayed with the Rosary ladies before Mass; I've prayed with the parish Prayer Group; I've tried praying the Rosary in Latin, in French, in Spanish; and I've prayed the Rosary in bed where I enlist my Guardian Angel to finish it for me.  Give me another method and I'll try it.

I also like to vary the places I go to pray.  When you think of it, nothing ventured, nothing gained.  Keep trying; perseverance wins the race.  That's what St. Paul says.

I think. 

No comments:

And You Thought Libraries Were Dull?

 This probably is the last book in the series of The Library of the Dead.  However, the book ends with the mother pregnant again with anothe...